Make-up artist and make-up designer insurance

Fair & flexible insurance for make-up artists and make-up designers. Get a quote in 60 seconds and be protected from just 30p a day.

Freely toggles on-and-off to suit your needs and save you money.
Get quote
Why choose make-up artist insurance from Dinghy?
You can be insured in under 5 minutes
Your time is precious – so you can get fully insured in less than 5 minutes, with your documents ready for you immediately in your online self-service area.
Tailored insurance for make-up artists
Our insurance for make-up artists is tailored to meet your needs. We have partnered with A-Rated insurer Allianz to customise a product to fit you, creating cost savings that we pass on to you.
You can save money if you’re not working
If you’re between contracts, or simply taking a break from work, then you no longer need to pay for insurance you’re not using. Turn your insurance off with a tap when you don’t need it and reduce your costs. We put you in control.
You get rock solid, world class insurance
We’ve partnered with some of the biggest names in the insurance industry to give you peace of mind with your cover, such as 24/7 equipment claims handling and expert lawyers to defend you.
What our customers say:
I was looking for a flexible solution for business insurance for a Ltd company and found it! The application process was very clear and they answered all my questions quickly. Highly recommended!
Monica Lelli – Trustpilot Review
Frequently asked questions
What insurance does a make-up artist need?
As a make-up artist, you can make mistakes that cost your client’s money. You can insure this risk with professional indemnity insurance. We also offer public liabilitybusiness equipment and freelancer assist.
How much does make-up artist insurance cost?
Less than you think! From 30p a day we can provide professional indemnity insurance of £100,000 each claim. Our average make-up artist pays less than £18 per month.
What amount of insurance should I buy?
Every customer has different needs. Our most popular limit for make-up artists is £1,000,000 professional indemnity (including freelancer assist), £1,000,000 public liability and £2,000 of business equipment.
What happens if I make an insurance claim?
First thing to do is not panic. We are here to help you. As soon as you need to make a claim you can login to your Self Service area and go to Support. If it’s an equipment claim, we will be there for you 24/7.
Do you need insurance to be a make-up artist?
Whether you’ve got employees, or you’re just working for yourself, insurance is essential for make-up artists and make-up designers. For any freelance make-up artist public liability and professional indemnity insurance are important. Everybody makes mistakes – it’s just part of the job. Professional indemnity will cover if you make a mistake in the course of your work, or don’t exercise reasonable care with a customer. Public liability will protect you if you cause an injury or or damage someone’s property (for example spilling hair dye on a client’s bag, or a client tripping over the trailing wire of a hairdryer).
What do you need to be a make-up artist?
As with any role where you’re working for yourself, it’s important to love what you do. You don’t necessarily need a degree to be a make-up artist or designer, but it’s not a bad idea to try and obtain a recognised make-up qualification (like a BTEC Level 3 Diploma, a VTCT Level 3 Diploma, an ITEC Level 3 Diploma, a City and Guilds Diploma or a Makeup Standards Authority (MASA) diploma). It’s also worth putting together a portfolio of any work you do, whether to ease your path into a make-up school or to impress a potential client. Don’t forget about an apprenticeship too – they’re an ideal opportunity to learn on the job whilst you’re working on your qualifications.
Can you insure makeup?
Whatever your role, when you’re working for yourself the equipment you use to do your work is your lifeline. Without it, you’d be unable to work. Make-up is no different. For that reason we recommend that you treat it like any other work tool and insure it with business equipment cover. Whether it’s due to theft, loss or damage – if your make-up needs replacing, we’ll replace it (or its value) for you.
Do you need a license to be a freelance makeup artist in the UK?
In short, no. There are no nationwide licensing requirements for freelancer make-up artists in the UK. However, you will find that some local councils will ask you to register with them if you’re working out of your own premises. If this is the case, then your council may require you to have professional indemnity insurance before they grant you a license. It’s always worth taking the time to check it out before you get too far down the road.

Our Insurance Partners

Allianz are one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz Group, one of the world’s foremost financial services providers. Allianz SE Group employs 142,000 employees worldwide, serving 85m customers in more than 70 countries. In the UK, Allianz Insurance employs over 4,600 people across a network of 26 offices. The company’s Head Office is situated in Guildford, Surrey. We have additional support services with over 1,000 people based in Trivandrum, India. Allianz offers commercial insurance with a full range of products for sole traders, right up to large commercial organisations.
ARAG’s UK operation provides a nationwide service from their Bristol Head office. They are part of ARAG SE, a global leader in legal expenses insurance which generates annual premium income in excess of €1.5 billion. It has always been their vision to enable everyone, not just those that can afford it, to assert their legal rights. With this aim in mind we have partnered with them to provide our innovative Freelancer Assist product.
Let’s do this
The only freelance insurance you’ll ever need. You’ll be covered in minutes.